The phlebotomist’s work revolves around phlebotomy and about phlebotomy. Majority of the skills that the phlebotomists had acquired were during his phlebotomist training. However, in applying for a job, the tasks that you should be doing must be within the job description of a phlebotomist. People superior than you must not expect that you would know the job of someone who is assigned in clinical chemistry, or in histopathology, this is for the reason that you have only been trained in the area of phlebotomy, however, it would also be advantageous in your part that you would know the skills of other departments.
The job description of a phlebotomist usually answers the question: What is phlebotomy? It revolves around it, in case you do not know what the job description of a phlebotomist is, the following are the job descriptions of a duly certified phlebotomist:
- For analysis or other medical purposes, a phlebotomist is the person in charge for drawing blood from the patients and some donors from the hospital, blood bank and other facilities with similar purpose. He is also in charge to assemble the materials needed for the phlebotomy procedure such as the needles, the tourniquet, disposable containers for the needles, the different blood collection devices, alcohol, cotton and gauze in a tray according to the requirements or specifications indicated in the different procedures that are to be performed.
- He is the one in charge to verify the identity of the patient through the patient tag or the requisition form issued by the hospital and he is the one responsible to converse with the patient or the donor that shall be undergoing the procedure of phlebotomy.
- He is the one who is in charge to apply the tourniquet in the arm of the patient prior to the blood extraction for the easy location of the proper vein that is to be extracted with blood, after which, he will be the one who shall apply the antiseptic after locating the area where the needle is to be inserted and he will be the one who shall initiate the phlebotomy procedure using the correct gauge of needle, or the vacutainer and making sure that the procedure does not bring any discomfort, or at least at a minimum amount only of discomfort to the patient.
- Since he was the one who initiated the procedure, he would also be the one to terminate it and apply the necessary aftercare to the patient.
- He may also prick finger for finger puncture method and may conduct interviews or take vital signs of the patient prior or after the procedure.